I first learned to use plastic needlepoint canvas as 1:24 scale lattice when my Gull Bay came with some. What a brilliant idea! It’s cheap, too — I paid about two dollars for a 12″ x 18″ piece to make lattice for the Seaside Villa, and will have a ton left over.
I painted the section of the foundation to be covered with lattice black, and then cut the canvas on a diagonal. Since the trim on this house is white, I don’t even have to paint it.
I made a frame for the lattice out of 1/4″ x 1/16″ strip wood, painted the same gray as the house. I did this with the house lying on its side and lined the edges of the strip wood up with the bottom of the foundation.
But when I set the house upright, I realized it’s not quite square and the front part of the foundation is slightly lifted off the table.
The glue hadn’t dried yet, so I pulled off the side pieces and replaced them with pieces that were slightly longer. Then I added wood filler to the seams, did a final coat of paint, and cut the lattice to fit inside the hole.
Next I added flooring to the porches. A local hobby shop closed down over the summer (sob) and I bought a bundle of very thin wood pieces in their going out of business sale. Most of the bundle are dark brown, but there were about 15 raw pieces that I pulled out.
These are 3/16″ wide, perfect for 1:24 scale floorboards.
I dyed the end of one with Minwax Classic Gray as a test — it goes well with the gray paint.
It had been raining earlier in the day, but the sun came out long enough for me to stain the pieces in the backyard. As I rubbed the stain on I found that they broke very easily!
Back inside, I drew pencil lines to show where the floorboard pieces should meet up.
I cut a piece of scrap wood at a 37.5 degree angle to use as a guide.
By setting this on top of a floorboard and lining it up with the pencil line, I was able to mark the correct angle. The wood cut easily with scissors.
I did the two side pieces this way, and then lay a center piece down between them and used the side pieces to mark the angles, to make sure they would fit snugly.
I noticed as I did these first pieces that there was some peach paint showing through at the edges of the porch, due to the masking tape that had been stuck down there. (The peach I originally used seeped under the tape and then the gray didn’t cover it up.) So I paused to paint around the edges before gluing down any flooring.
Here’s the upstairs porch. The bundle coincidentally had one piece of wood that was skinnier than the rest, and it was the perfect size to use for the final boards around the front edge.
And here’s the downstairs porch.
I’m planning to shingle the house with asphalt shingles and I literally just bought them this morning, but now that I’m looking at this picture I wonder if I should use wooden shingles stained with the same gray stain, to complement the porches. Hmm…
And here you can see the finished lattice. The front panel will be covered up with a staircase. The house didn’t come with stairs so I need to build something.